King Edward VI High School is proud to announce that our Sixth Form students have achieved excellent A-level results for another successive year with a 99% pass rate, with the vast majority of students attaining their first choice university placement.
Students doing particularly well include, Luke Acton 3As and 1B, Jenna Clayton 1A and 2Bs, Luke Bond 1A and 3Bs, Rhys Castellan 3Bs, Tim Pettifor 1A* 2As and 1B, Sophie Watson 2As 2Bs and Amy Wright 2As and 1C.
Mr Christey, Headteacher, commended the “excellent achievement of our talented students” and congratulates staff and students on their hard work and commitment throughout the year.
Leader of Sixth Form, Mrs Gibbs, congratulated A2 students moving on to university, college or new careers for two years of hard work. "It has been a pleasure to work with you through your Sixth Form years and I wish you every success in your future careers. You have been a credit to the school, your teachers and your parents."
On the 9th July, we had a transition evening for the Year 11’s coming up to Year 12 in September.
Our newly elected Head Girl (Fran Bishop) and Head Boy (Brandon Mceleny) gave a speech to prepare the future Sixth Formers for their first year out of KS4. It was very informative and helped the Year 11’s to understand and prepare them for the big step up from GCSE to A Level.
The Student Leadership Team were there to help out by answering any questions asked by the Year 11’s and giving advice. This was beneficial for the Year 11’s as it began to improve relations between the two years. We were also there to provide refreshments and answer any questions from our experience of our first year of A Levels.
The evening had a good turn out with many parents and students there, who all felt that the event was useful.
Year 11 students were also given a folder with helpful information and resources. For example, folder dividers and plastic wallets were given which will be used frequently by A Level students when they begin to organise their folders.
They were also set a summer project to get them thinking about the next two years.
We hope this evening has given all the new sixth form students a helpful insight into the sixth form life and we hope that it has prepared them for the difficult but worthwhile years they have to come!
Jess Edwards, Jess Hill and Megan O'Gara
On the 23rd June 2015, KEVI’s new SLT met for the first time to discuss what we want to achieve together for both the school and the Sixth Form. As you can imagine, with a team of 14 members, we are all eager to become an active and recognisable group throughout the school, and are already planning to put some of our new ideas into place! The new members of the Student Leadership Team are as follows: Fran Bishop (Head Girl), Brandon Mceleny (Head Boy), Archie Perry, Alex Manley, Georgie Rowe, Pia Dodd, Eden Davis, Tom Bowers, Megan Pilling, Grace Edge, Jasmine Horsley, Jessica Hill, Bethany Knott, Hannah Musgrave and Megan O’Gara.
Some of the priorities we have discussed already include refurbishing the Sixth Form common room, improving relations between us and the rest of the school, and making the house competitions as interesting and diverse as possible- so everyone can get involved, not just the sporty ones! As well as this, we would like to encourage more fundraising activities throughout the school such as a charity water fight or dance-a-thon, and would like to make sure everyone is regularly kept up to date via the Sixth Form blog about what it is we’re doing. We have also discussed making non-school activities such as cadets more readily available to students as we feel they are both positive and enriching experiences that have become important parts of many of the current students’ lives here at KEVI. Finally, we would like to improve the already existing Hear for You campaign within our school, and make sure everyone feels they have somewhere to turn- whether that be face to face or through an anonymous email service. However, things of course do not end here; we want to hear what you have to say so that we can make the school a better environment for everyone- not just the Sixth Form!
Report by Grace Edge
1) Friday 28th November all Collegiate Centres, apart from Sir Graham Balfour and Stafford Sports College have an INSET day. There will be no 6th Form lessons at King Edwards, Chetwynd Centre, Blessed William Howard, Weston Road or Walton on that day.
2) Post 16 Choices Evening is on Tuesday 2nd December at 6-8pm. There will be some university representatives and the Department for Business Innovation and Skills student finance team present. They will be available to answer questions about student loans and other related topics.
3) Post 16 (Y12 & Y13) Parents Evening is on Tuesday 9th December 4.30-6.30pm. We would like to try an electronic appointment booking system for this, details to follow.
4) Y12 Interim Reports will be issued on Tuesday 9th December.
5) Y13 Full Reports will be issued on Friday 19th December.
6) End of term arrangements for all collegiate centres will be posted on our web site.
7) Y12 & Y13 exams are scheduled for week beginning 12th January 2015. Timetable and arrangements to follow.
8) We are organising a visit to the Manchester UCAS Higher Education Convention on Thursday 12th March 2015 for all Y12 students, details to follow.
Mrs D Gibbs
KS5 Progress Leader
Sixth Form Blog
Welcome to the Sixth Form Blog, the home of the latest news and information for the Sixth Form at King Edward VI.